The ever popular schnitzel gets a whole food update with the additions of spelt flour, chia seeds and rolled oats.
Makes 40 schnitzels
- 40 chicken thigh fillets, skin on, flattened
- 6 eggs combined with 600ml milk
- 600g spelt flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 600g rolled oats
- 150g white chia seeds
- 300g LSA
- Olive oil to pan fry
Batter the chicken thighs until 1cm thick.
Combine the egg and milk in a bowl, whisk until combined. Place into a deep sided tray. Place the spelt flour in a deep sided tray, season with salt and pepper.
In a blender combine the oats, chia seeds and LSA, blend until smooth and fine. Place into a deep sided tray. Firstly, coat each chicken thigh in flour, tap off excess. Then dip into the egg milk mix- coat the whole thigh, tap off excess. Lastly evenly coat in the oat mix.
Heat a fry pan on the stove and pan fry over medium heat until golden on both sides and cooked through.
Potato Salad ingredients
- 3kg potatoes with skin on suitable for boiling
- 2kg sweet potato
- 400g Greek yoghurt
- 250g homemade mayonnaise or real egg mayonnaise
- 50g capers- drained & chopped
- 50g seeded mustard
- 50g flat leaf parsley chopped
- 25g fresh mint chopped
- Fresh black pepper
Place the whole potatoes in cold salted water and bring to the boil, after 10 minutes add 4cm chunks of peeled sweet potato and simmer for 20 minutes or until just cooked. Allow to cool in the water.
Meanwhile mix the yoghurt, mayonaise, capers, mustard and herbs.
Once the potato is cool, drain and pat dry, cut into 3cm chunks and gently mix. Taste to check seasoning.
Avocado & Tomato Salsa ingredients
- 300g red onion, finely diced 2mm
- 720g hass avocado flesh, 1cm dice
- 160ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 960g fresh tomatoes, 1-2cm dice
- 120ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- 40g fresh basil, finely chopped
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently mix.
To serve complete dish
Place a generous spoon of potato salad on the plate, top with schnitzel and finish with the salsa and a drizzle of EVOO if desired.